Thursday, November 11, 2010

Let's Cook ~ Cider Glazed Apple Muffins

Nothing says 'Fall' like apple muffins!
It's always 'interesting' to try a new recipe; especially before a play date and you're hoping that it turns out edible so you don't have to stop along the way to buy something. We had a play date at the park earlier this week and with the weather so nice it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon with friends. Being a snack play date I debated what to bring and raided the kitchen cabinet and pantry only to find a box of brownie mix. I did grocery shopping and picked up the usual stuff as well as sugar since it's the best time of year to bake and still wasn't sure what to make so I looked in the fridge and there they were - what was left from an apple picking adventure. I went to my favorite recipe site (epicurious.com) and found the answer to my snack woes - Cider Glazed Apple Muffins.

The reviews were mixed from saying they were awesome to making a few changes to that they were too dry. I went with the original recipe so I could have my own opinion and I have to say after trying one - they're yummy. The muffins themselves may be better with the apples shredded rather than chopped since the muffins are small and the larger pieces could be a bit much and the glaze DOES take a bit so you should start it before getting the muffins going.

I made two batches since they were so simple and having run out of cider for the second batch I used a tablespoon of apple butter that I happened to have on hand as well as a tablespoon of water to equal things out. They have more of an apple flavor and the apple butter did work rather well, though you do need the cider or juice for glaze. Another change I made since I didn't have real cider on hand...I used my own homemade apple juice. It does have cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning in it so it worked rather well. And since this was a play date and thus the muffins were being shared - NO NUTS! I never realized how many people have nut allergies so this way no worries!

Give them a try and see what you think but over all we give them 4 Happy Bellies!

No comments:

Post a Comment