Sunday, December 16, 2012

Why I Homeschool. . .

*I never edited this post nor did I stop and rethink anything typed. I sat here for an hour reading posts on Facebook and email messages and watching the news and my mind was full so I did what came naturally - I wrote. I judge no one here...I'm simply speaking my mind and trying to explain why I choose to homeschool. My main point in this is that suddenly many are thinking homeschool is the answer because bad things happen and the truth is that while they do, you can't keep your child safe forever. At some point you do need to let them go with the knowledge you've given them and hope and pray they know how to handle things. Sadly there are situations where they are not in control and it can happen anywhere as we've learned this year: school, the mall, a movie theater, their own neighborhood. You need to do what YOU think is best for your child after putting all of the reasons out there. And that is what was going around my brain before I wrote the following:

Photo by WolfC ~ http://wolfc-stock.deviantart.com

With the horrible tragedy in Connecticut this past week I've had people commend me because I homeschool. There was also a shooting at a local highschool just minutes from my house. I've had people ask me how I do it because they're curious now after these horrible events. It's funny how so many rolled their eyes or asked why I would do this to my child and now they're wanting to 'do it to their child' but for very different reasons.

On Friday when the news was saturated with images of crying parents and frightened children my son and I sat and watched. Yes, my 7 year old was with me because as horrific the situation it is reality and you can't live in a bubble. Details were of course not gone into. . .even I didn't want/need them but the main parts were brought up and his only reply was, "Well I'm glad I'm homeschooled so I don't have to worry about that."

The irony is that the night before I sat at a party with other homeschool moms talking about WHY we homeschool. Sheltering our kids from reality was never brought up. As horrible as this was I don't want my child living in some bubble thinking the world is rainbows and lollipops. I don't want him afraid to go outside but he needs to have a sense of reality for lack of better word. Not everyone is your friend and not everyone can be trusted. We grew up being told not to talk to strangers for a reason just as now-a-days kids are told not to put every picture on Facebook text everyone and anyone and such.

Homeschool has taken on many different forms. My son attends a cyber charter school so I'm not teaching him, just assisting and doing homework with him just as though he were actually attending. The difference? The curriculum is more challenging, we can take more or less time on subjects, we can do more with his learning. . .it gives us a freedom with his education while still challenging him and meeting requirements. I still smile when I think back to how he was helping a friend with her homework last year - she was a year ahead of him.

I homeschool my son because I want a better handle on his education. I want him to learn and be in a situation where he IS learning not where he's in a classroom with 20 other students and has unanswered questions. If he is having trouble with something we can go over it. If he's finding something easy to grasp we can run quickly through it. If I choose to teach my child something different than what the schools feel is appropriate I may do so. If my child wants to eat a turkey sandwich or peanut butter cookies or have a piece of cake I will allow him unlike schools pushing processed lunches, banning snacks due to allergies/federal guidelines.

I homeschool my son because I want him to have the same morals, manners and behavior that was expected of me. I may lay the foundation but a day with other kids certainly can change that especially in a world where parents don't care if their children use foul language. Children now-a-days scare me. They're a different breed in some instances. They're mini adults with their electronics and schedules just running around doing what they want while parents are forced to work and let them raise themselves.

I homeschoool my son because I can. I had planned to work full time once he was in school but after meeting other homeschool families I wanted what they have. I wanted their close knit relationships. We don't have the biggest house or newest vehicles. We don't eat steaks every night and wear designer clothes. We make sacrifices so that we can do this and I'm thankful for my husband's support.

I know that many families achieve what I desire for my son and send their children to school. I know that sending them to school doesn't mean they're doomed to be awful and horrible little children but I just want to be a part of his life. I want to do all I can to make this time mean something. I want him to learn and be able to do things he wouldn't be able to otherwise. He's able to be in a theater group and do amazing things for local charities. I see too many children raised by teachers rather than parents.

I homeschool my son in the hopes of raising him to be the best he can be not to keep him at home in a bubble and afraid of the 'big bad world' or too naive to know what the real world is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment