Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jammies all Day and BonBons? I wish!

I love how people give you 'the look' when they find out you're homeschooling your child. I love that the assumption is that you sit around all day watching Lifetime while your child does whatever. In some cases, learning IS hands-off like that: when you go to the park or the beach or a center but usually Mom is IT.

Today really put the idea that homeschool moms not just sitting around in jammies eating bonbons all day in my head. I got up at 9 and started laundry. From there I started going through my son's school books. He does cyber school so most of the teaching is online from an amazing assortment of teachers on everything from science to math to reading and more.

After organizing 'homeworks' that need to be scanned into his teacher (yes, he has an actual PA certified teacher grading his work and overseeing me) I sent them over. I then went over his workbook to make sure we had everything completed.

He received some of his physical education materials last week so I printed out that form so we could keep track of 'gym class'. We went rollerskating last week with a local homeschool group (yes, we DO socialize our children) and just last night the family went bowling. Playing Wii Sports also meets the requirements so the little guy LOVES that he can play Wii for school. He was also playing golf in the back yard for a half hour and did cup stacking the other day for about as long.All of this needs to be documented to make sure he's meeting requirements.

I then went into his art and Spanish class folders. Yes, in first grade he not only has an actual art appreciation class but also Spanish.

Some people don't take it seriously and that so bothers me. He IS going to school and he IS learning and no I'm NOT taking the 'easy' way out but rather I'm putting MORE effort in because I'm not just doing homework with him at night but I'm also there all day while he's learning. I'm the guide who helps read assignments to him and who preps for various activities throughout his day. I'm the nurse when he doesn't feel well. I'm the lunch lady when he's ready for a sandwich. I'm the one watching him when he's playing outside and playing along in between other mom/wife stuff. Easy? No. Worth it? Yes.

Why? Honestly I just like being a part of his education. I like being there helping him learn and I love the curriculum because it doesn't limit him. If he gets stuck on something we can take the time to go over it. If he's finding something too easy we can get through it a bit faster. He doesn't get bored with school because it's constantly changing and he honestly enjoys it.

I could go on and on but another time. For now we need to get ready for tomorrow's spelling test.

No comments:

Post a Comment