Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Technology. . .the root of all evil

Is growing technology a positive for society? Is the fact that we can't leave home without a cell phone without feeling 'naked' just common practice anymore?

I admit. A day without my cell phone bugs me. I feel like I'm missing a text that may be horribly important when in reality it's probably just my monthly freebie code from Redbox or the weather. Facebook? I can see that on my Kindle so no worries if I forget the phone. I do worry if I have car trouble and have no way to contact anyone but the last few times I HAVE had issues I've had either concerned citizens or state troopers there within minutes.

I sometimes hate being so easily found online. I try to keep my FB page simple with no details / excessive photos but who am I kidding. I have everything and anything up there. I only accept friend requests from people I know. I delete if I don't hear from/talk to the people every few months (which has led to hate mail) and I don't post vacation info until we return home.

And stalking. Some people live to stalk ex's and family online. I did at first but then got over it. They have their lives and I mine. What happens happens and it's all good.

Sometimes I long for the days when the telephone would ring and a friend would suggest we meet at the mall. The early days of computers when bulletin boards were 'the thing' to do at night in your room and parents would yell about that beeping and noises coming from your room.

What do you think? Are we too available? Are we too 'out there'? Or is this technology bringing us closer than ever before and is it a great and wonderful thing.

Personally I think it's wonderful but over-used and too much dependence is placed upon it.


No comments:

Post a Comment