Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mom Clubs - the return of the high school clique

*~*~*~*~
I originally wrote this in 2011 after some 'drama' I was involved with in a mom club. After being told when I was taking a break that I would be welcomed back (and she told me that I had her word on that) I wrote her asking to rejoin and was told no. I was told to start my own club since younger kids were the club's future (until they grew up apparently) and the fact that I had known these women for a year and was friends online with them meant nothing. I didn't post it at the time because I wanted to stop, take a breath, count to 10 and all that. Almost a year later I read it and . . .it's not mean in any way - it's honest.
*~*~*~*


I've debated this blog topic for years to be honest. In high school I wasn't part of a clique. I was friends with anyone and everyone and was myself. If people didn't like that - so be it. Over those four years I went from a shy and quiet girl to a rather confident young lady who wasn't afraid to join a new club or do cartwheels down the hallway.

I never really dealt with cliques back then personally. I saw them of course but stayed away from that 'life'. Enter the mom years.

At first being a stay-at-home-mom wasn't bad. I liked being home and being able to get laundry and shopping done whenever rather than rushing to get it done over a weekend. I loved that I was able to keep the house tidy and spend the day with my little guy. I wouldn't miss anymore firsts. One of my saddest moments was when he was at daycare and the teacher for his room started yelling about him trying to walk and she had HER camera ready. I was in the next room and was devastated that this 'person' was there for my baby's moment. It didn't help that I couldn't stand her but it just got into my head and was another reason I loathed working while being the mom of a little one.

But happy days came when the decision was made for me to stay home because the money spent for his care was a crazy amount and I wasn't losing all that much financially for me to quit my job - and family time was so much better than money.

After a while I realized that staying home stunk. I looked into a few local mom clubs and found a few. the one was great and I ended up a manager in no time. I should have known things were too good to be true. Of course as with any time where you have too many females together you have drama and KABOOM. I was in the middle of it. I quit seeing as how we were moving anyway and made a graceful exit.

My next ventures into the land of mom clubs were just as 'successful'. The first time you host something EVERYONE comes. They want to check out your house and such. Some decide then whether they like you while others take a bit longer and actually get to know you. Some get mad when they ask a question and you're honest. Sorry, but that's just me.

I have a very laid back way of raising my son. From the time he was little I let him do things on his own. I now have a very independent 5 year old who makes me proud every day. He handles kids throwing tantrums as well as I do and homeschooling him has been amazing. I've been told the way other moms turn on me is jealousy. I have a kid but wear a size 0. I'm going to be 30-something and look late 20-something. I'm Betty Crocker and June Cleaver while they have maids and can't make spaghetti.

I'm just me. I try to be a good friend, wife and mom. I do speak my mind and have found that some don't appreciate that but I just can't bite my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment