Saturday, December 11, 2010

Let's Cook ~ Mexican Wedding Cookies

First of all an apology. I'm sure there is a more PC name for these cookies but I have no idea what that may be. Everything from my favorite Girl Scout Cookie to a holiday event in Philly seems to have undergone a PC renaming over the years. My Aunt used to make these cookies (20+) years ago and the recipe book I found with them is even older so please forgive my 'unPC' cookie but they are tasty so keep that in mind. They're also not exactly 'healthy' as you'll see when you look at the recipe. Again, the recipe comes from a Women's Day Christmas Crafts & Food book from the early 1970's when people smoked at work and fondue was fun. It was a different time.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

                

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
Confectioners' Sugar (as specified)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


In a medium bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy. Stir in flour until well blended and then chill 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.

Shape into 1" balls and place 1" apart on an un-greased cookie sheet; bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove to rack set over waxed paper and dust heavily with confectioners' sugar; cool.

Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar before serving.

* I personally cut the salt to just under 1/4 tsp. and used unsalted butter. I only cooked them 12 minutes rotating the cookie sheet halfway through because sometimes my oven doesn't seem to heat evenly. I also let my dough chill for over an hour and it was hard as a rock. It wasn't a big deal - I just let it sit out until it was more the consistency of play dough. These are actually really easy to make, yummy and if you don't pay attention to the ingredients you can enjoy them guilt free. :)

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment