Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Temps Rise and Leaves Wilt - Protecting your outside investment

All is not lost when temps rise and the garden is out in the elements. The sight of all those fruits and veggies wilting in the sun is painful but there are ways to help them hold on. . .

1. Water - It's an obvious one but every morning before the sun hits the garden and every evening when it's setting you need to give those plants a drink. You need to get them a drink before the ground is dry and the water just runs off - that doesn't do much good.You need to be sure plants will dry before night comes to eliminate the chance of any fungus developing - I water with diluted milk at night which supposedly helps eliminate this problem...but I also do it leaving plenty of time for the plants to dry before the sun completely sets. I pour the water right at the bottom of the plants where they need it most so it soaks in.

2. Mulch - You can buy hay and straw for this purpose or do what I do - grab those 'free' grass clippings. I actually did this when I transplanted my tomatoes and the darn things are doing great so far in this current heat wave. Okay, one is looking very sad but I believe that to be my fault as when I was hammering the garden stakes in I think I damaged its roots. I gave it an extra drink and it's fighting so we'll see but in general approximately 5 inches of something to help lock in moisture will do wonders. You still need to water more in these high temps but the mulch will help lesson the amount that evaporates.

3. Snip off those flowers - Basil forms those pretty white flowers and mint has purple. Sure, they're nice to look at but they also take energy away from the plant. Snip them and you'll have healthier plants. I always do this with my basil so I have more yummy basil rather than some basil topped with flowers.

4. Weeds - You normally pick the weeds out anyway but when the temps rise there's even more reason - they're stealing water from your fruits and veggies! Try to do this early morning or early evening when it isn't as hot, drink fluids, wear sunscreen and take breaks if it's an intense job. I try to weed almost daily so it's not a huge endeavor but when it's a 'hot one' out there I get a little more into it trying to get rid of anything that would steal a drop of that precious moisture from my plants.

5. Shade - IF you have the ability to put up a tarp or canopy to help shade your area go for it. Some plants like tomatoes can handle it better than say, cucumbers (speaking from personal experience). Just be sure to remove it when/if it does finally rain so they get a good drink. I'm also guessing  you should at night so you're not trapping too much moisture as that may result in plant fungus growth.

More gardening tips from my Frugal Family column on Patch.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment